Thursday 16 October 2008

Manuals 2

As the title suitably suggests today was another day spent in the faithful and somewhat legendary print workshop; this time working with the manually driven print process of screen printing. A true classic. In opposition to the mono-printing I got my hands messy with last week, I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and dirt free this method of application was; which was enhanced by the fact that the ink was 70% water based and therefore came off of my hands a damn site easier than the oils based inks did last week! Amazing.


First of all we began with a base layer of processed Magenta that was applied subsequent to our screens being exposed to black and white positives made from our mono-prints completed last week. This was then given a second coating of ink over the top using a processed cyan and alternative black and white positive previously manipulated (and exposed to a separate re-claimed screen) using permanent markers and tippex.




Once both layers had dried our final prints came out as seen above and I won't lie; I'm really happy with the way they turned out! (Note that only the top image of the three is my own work).

Overall however, I'd really like to explore the possibilities of this process with a full CMYK print and some design work that I have put more time into developing. Other than that, sweet as a nut!

Enjoy! x

No comments: