Thursday 11 December 2008

C is for 100

In what I thought for a split second might be a cheeky week of rest in fact turned out to be a week that required the capturing of 100 photographs covering the categories of textures, places, people, words and objects. No particular direction or focus, just so long as we covered each group to a certain extent. Time to go home and hit up the British seaside then, good times.

On my adventures back home I was slightly disappointed with the terrible weather and blatent cold conditions. Typical England ey? This didn't deter me however and so I present to you some of my favourite images from my travels.




I tried to avoid the stereotypical seaside tourist imagery and instead ventured to the more southern sections of Pakefield beach where the rusty ol' boats hang out with the rusty ol' chains and odd machinery etc. Ya know, the kind of stuff you don't see on the postcards.

Upon the return to the studio, we split into small groups of four and presented all of our 100 pictures together in a mass army of imagery across the tables. It kind of looked like this...


(excuse Tim's light-bulb head attire)

Once completed we gave it the ol' switch-a-roo and began to categorise and re-categorise other peoples photographs into possible themes that could be developed even further with more time or research. Luckily for me and Luke, we ended up with Sam's selection of 100 light bulbs...


We categorised them in terms of their brightness, need I say more. Cheers Sam.

Once this was complete and the dust had settled, I ventured back to the wall of fame to observe how my images had been ordered and categorised. In the end I concluded that the best two directions were either in correspondence to number eights in public places or WC signs; both of which I had obviously began to look at by coincidence within my travels to the seaside.



With the pressure mounting, I had roughly five minutes to finalize my decision in order to carry out more research over the coming week. I went with the number 8 vibe as I felt it had more of a broader based background that would in turn allow for a more diverse and hopefully more interesting body of information. Stay tuned, we'll see...


x


P.s I found it quite amusing that all the female signs that I came across seemed to have been... personalised in ways I don't really need to explain. That's Lowestoft for you. Out.

No comments: