Wednesday 18 March 2009

Re: Dan Eatock

Since stumbling across this guy a few weeks back, I have found his work to be quite inspirational and exciting due to it's quirky and often quite amusing nature. It's probably fair to say that I should have posted a little bit about him a lot earlier than I have; but after all, I am a student and the guidebook says I can always use that excuse within any given situation.

One of the most relevant pieces of work in terms of 'What is a line?' in my opinion is Black > Blank, where as outlined on his website:

'A laser printer containing a new toner cartridge constantly printed a black A4 document, sent from the computer, until the toner ran empty and a pure white sheet emerged un-printed. As the pages exited the printer they were stacked face up. The completed stack contains the entire contents of the toner cartridge, the bottom page is black, the top page is white, between is the transition, demise, depletion, expiration of black to blank, full to empty.


Weird, but it works I guess?

Another piece that links into my personal focus quite well is the radio advert completed for popular T.V show Big Brother...

Listen here.

I've drafted up an idea to mimic this as an experiment using the phrase 'What is a line?' The result should be a series of twenty four ways to say the same thing. I'll keep you posted when I get it complete.

Lastly, I also quite enjoyed the idea behind his piece '£1 Recording'

£1 Recording

1. Using a ten pence piece dial your answer machine from a public telephone
2. Let the answer machine record the sounds from the public telephone for the duration of the ten pence piece
3. Repeat (step one and two) ten times from ten different locations

The total duration of the piece will depend on the locations and time of each call

Total time = £1

All really inventive ways to document sounds through a connected series of events in my opinion. Could really work in relation to journeys on public transport and the conversation observations that have been developing throughout my sketchbook work...

x

No comments: